Friday, January 2, 2009

TOP SONGS OF THE YEAR: 40-31

40. Pink "Who Knew"

If you haven't already figured out by looking at this list, I like pop music. And this year, I mean POP music. Personally, I blame Movement 97--a relatively new Bay Area station that plays a variety of songs mostly of the pop and dance persuasion--and that's ok. I happily turned on that dial day in and day out over the course of the year because the music was fun and lighthearted, and considering the pressure and stress I was under from school, my three jobs, an internship, and those pesky things called BILLS I eagerly indulged. Enter this Pink track. It's a perfect over the top, tear-falling-down-the-cheek song without being OMFG. Lyrically, the song is effective because it's unassuming, and I heart that earworm of a guitar line opening the track, instantly establishing the gravity of what's to come. However, in the end it's all about Pink's vocal chops leading the sing-along chorus with the conflicted fervor of a shell-shocked lover who has both a broken heart and a unrealistic tinge of hope. Awe...tear.

Video: Pink "Who Knew"


39. Roisin Murphy "Overpowered"

Someone needs to tell Roisin Murphy that her combination of funky electro, retro 80's synths, clever wordplay, and distinct voice fucking rock! (I guess I will: Srsly, Roisin. You do.) Most people will know her from her percussive-heavy, tribal days with Moloko, however, I personally became a fan of Roisin because of her first album, Ruby Blue. She has the ability to take genuinely interesting rhythms and musically layer them with electronic hiccups and groovy horns to become odd pop songs (check out 2005's extraordinary "If We're In Love"). "Overpowered" carries on in that same vein but this time there is no hesitation about its desire to shake your arse. And shake it does. For that let me say it again: Roisin, you fucking rock, girl! Srsly. I mean it.


Video: Roisin Murphy "Overpowered"


38. Ida Corr vs. Fedde Le Grand "Let Me Think About It"

If the beat from this delicious disco gem doesn't have you moving after the second listen then you are devoid of all rhythmic pleasure as we know it. Say it's too frenetic: you're right. Say it's too dance-y: right again. Say it's too gay: um, well...duh! But say it's not awesome: then you're absolutely, positively, most embarrassingly WRONG. "Let Me Think About It" revs up both the queens at Badlands and the hip-hop junkies at 98.3 KWIN. This song knows no boundaries. And nor should it. So make like my girls both in the Stro and in the impressive video and shimmy on down to the dance floor (or your living room carpet) and RRAAAHHHH!



Video: Ida Corr vs Fedde Le Grand "Let Me Think About It"



37. Friend "Secret"

I thank Pitchfork for this one. Their Forklist always has some interesting cuts that are either questionable or on point. Fortunately, they were right on with this one. Opening with a sample from one of my favorite songs of the year (Air France's "Collapsing On Your Doorstep"--a song whose most memorable moments are, ironically, snippets from birds, TV shows and little kids' voices) the track builds on a myriad of manipulated vocal excerpts before erupting into a hot Saturday night at Paradise Garage: blaring horns, writhing bass lines and all. Yeah, this song is that awesome. And it won't be before long that we'll all be grooving to the funky insanity that is Friend. Trust.

Myspace: Friend



36. Sean Kingston "Take You There"

Let me preface this blurb by saying I was not a fan at all of "Beautiful Girls"--that song is weak sauce, but it's catchy as hell. And so is this song. Although this track tows the line between juvenile hyperbole and faux-Miami Vice danger, it's youthful exuberance and manic enthusiasm is instantly endearing and addictive. Dare I say gay, too? Lets just say the infectious chorus has the ability to make some boys skip arm in arm all the way to the bars in the Stro from Doloros Park on Easter with tote bags and tight cardigans. Yep, I wish everyone can spend the holy day with a little Sean Kingston on their minds.



Video: Sean Kingston "Take You There"



35. Santogold "Shove It" (Switch Remix)

I have mixed opinions about Santogold. By now I've heard her obligatory backstory as a long-time industry vet finally coming into her own, hence, two albums chocked with either indie-leaning guitars akin to those worshiped and adored at Spin, or beat mash-ups with producer/DJ wunderkin Diplo. Hmm...sounds like the artistic beginnings of another beloved female extraordinaire.... In fact, I can't help but feel that Santi is just a second-hand MIA, but that would be unfair. And to be honest, some of her music warrants more than one listen, including this song remixed by MIA collaborator and pal, Switch. The reggae-like beat is hypnotic and the flow is potent and defiant. Santogold may not be MIA, but if this song is any indication, she might live up to the talent the press seems to believe she has.



Video: Santogold "Shove It" (Switch Remix)



34. Vega "All Too Vivid"

Dude, I've died and gone to 80s heaven. For real. But this song is way more than an 80s throwback I can assure you. I don't know who or what Vega is all about but this song fucking rocks! Like srsly. Built on a synth-heavy structure--not to mention a super rad lead guitar solo--the track takes one immediately through a flashback of all things 80s and cheesy (including the awesome video that feels like Xanadu for BMX owners). However, this song has more lasting merit than say an episode of Charles in Charge. Like the best house anthems today, "All Too Vivid" is big and bombastic, setting ablaze the dance floor with a beat that yearns to crush you while making you dance your ass off at the same time. Love it! Especially when that lead guitar screams its way onto the track. 80s heaven, man, I'm telling ya.



Video: Vega "All Too Vivid"



33. Arthur Russell "Habit Of You"

There's something special about Arthur Russell's music that I can not articulate very well. Heck, I might not even really know what it is exactly but I feel it so I know it's there. My first introduction to Russell was two years ago on Almostcool.org. The words for Russell were beyond kind--they exalted the man, and rightly so. Russell reminds me of the same genius that's slow to grasp as Nick Drake. Like Drake's work, his music may not sound much at first listen, but that's really our inability as the listener to fully appreciate the simple beauty these talented individuals are creating. "Habit Of You" is a simple song about the complexities of falling in love, and Russell nails it exactly. The exuberant 70s AM piano feels like rays of sun splashing down one at a time until the unhealthy obsession develops and that person becomes just as vital to one's survival as air. Sick maybe, but Russell understands it's part of the territory concerning the heart, and as frustrating as that is sometimes the best thing to do is to just give in and roll with the insanity that ensues.



Myspace: Arthur Russell



32. Mary J. Blige "Just Fine"

Finally, Mary--you done gone made a classic dance joint! And this shit bounces! For real. No sadness. No whining. No anger. Just pure and shameless fun. Every time this song came on in the clubs everybody recognized and shook a little, if only to pay respect to Miss Mary and her utter fabulousness at staying in the game this long and producing this stunner of a dance song. Much love and respect, Mary--I'm still shaking my little booty!




Video: Mary J. Blige "Just Fine"


31. Patrick Wolf "The Magic Position"

Mr. Wolf is an unusual man who makes unusual music. (I just wanna put that out there now.) But Mr. Wolf is also very talented and this song proves it. The track reminds me of another song on this countdown by Of Montreal, but that's not to say these two tracks are by any means reproductions of each other. That is simply not the case. "The Magic Position" has all the ingredients of an awesome song: exuberant children yelling, sweeping violins, dizzying keyboards climbing the walls, and, of course, a chorus everyone can sing along to. Jubilant tracks like these are not created everyday and it's unbelievable to me now how much I did not like this track when I first heard it. (Crazy, I know.) But after a few more listens it becomes undeniable and I am swept in Wolf's desire to put me in 'the magic position.' Brilliant stuff!!!



Video: Patrick Wolf "The Magic Position"

No comments: