Saturday, November 8, 2008

Another One Bites The Dust...

Or at least that's exactly how I felt when I made the decision to move back home. After graduating from university earlier this year quite a few people I knew made the trek out of the city, most returning to the land where they were from before we all decided to embark on this strange and exhilarating journey known as COLLEGE. The only thing is that I never thought I would be one of the them. I didn't entertain any ideas coming back to the CV (Central Valley y'all). Why would I? The only thing waiting for me there is my family. Period. SuckaFree City is my home now. Mission was my hood (even though I lived in San Bruno). All my friends were in the city. I worked all my shit jobs in the city. I volunteered at the most amazing events and organizations in the city. I would graduate from university in the city. Why would I leave the city? Simple. Uh, well, not really. You see, in the middle of finishing my degree, partying with my friends, and trying to be the person I wanted to be I became tired and anxious and unhappy. When I first moved to SF, I used to bask in the enormity and newness of the city. Six years later there was no time to bask in anything except how to pay my bills without becoming homeless or having my car towed (yes, I had a car which was a totally bad experience thanks to those most dutiful ticket officers that seem to be on every street driving those stupid golf cars that annoy even non-car owners when they past by.) I guess I could say being constantly broke in the most expensive city in these united of states (is it any surprise everyone is moving to Austin or Portland) sucked. And as my generation's luck seemed to be only getting better ever since that dude from Texas ascended on the white house, the economy blows a huge load of (enter your noun here) in my face. Thanks, Bush! I always knew you were something special since no one voted for you and you still got the job. But as much as fun as it is to blame obvious nimrods like our former president (emphasis on the former...Obama baby!) more was at play. I felt stifled and trapped. And not just at work. In everything. I needed to get out. And suddenly moving home was more than just an option. It became the only option. An option to chillax and refocus. And here I am a month and a half later doing just that. This blog is the testament of that: a boomerang kid an increasing phenomena consisting of a son or daughter that returns home after being away at college for an extended period of time. I love that title because it is at once both ridiculous and cool. Holler to your mama, I'm out!

No comments: